Our main tasting room at 1900 Route 66, Ghent, NY, has gone through a whole new renovation this year! Come on down!
Five Acres. This is the estate vineyard of Hudson-Chatham Winery. The vineyard is named for the creek across the street that fronts the entire length of the property, and adjoins three sizable ponds. In winter and spring this stream rages with serious power, but slows considerably in fall and winter. It is the natural boundary where the foothills of Ghent find their lowest point, the flats of the valley, between the Berkshire foothills and the ridge that is the spine of the Hudson River on the east bank in Columbia county.
The farm as originally owned, like many around it, by Judge Hogeboom. . The farm was a working farm, mostly dairy for many years. It was 250 acres. The first part of the house was built in 1790, and later enlarged in the early-to-mid 1800s. From the early 1900s through the Great Depression the farm doubled as a boarding house and a poor man’s farm, where some boarders traded work for room and board. By the end of the 1930s the farm was sold to the Cooley family of Massachusetts. Ralph Cooley Sr. and Dorothy Cooley were longtime residents. Dot, as she was known, was for decades a nurse at the local hospital. Ralph became a notable dairy farmer, increasing his land holdings to nearly 500 acres. He was noted for raising Ayrshire dairy cows, and eventually helped to set the national breed standard for that animal with the National Dairymen’s Association. The farm’s reputation was national, and the trophy room alone for the operation was quite extensive. However, by the end of the 1970s, Cooley was forced to retire, and sold his farm. The farm went through several hands, and laid fallow.
The DeVitos bought the farm in 2006, and immediately started planting the North Creek Vineyard, established on May 5, 2006. More than 1500 vines were planted into two blocks. In 2009 an additional block was added. Plans for a fourth and fifth block are well underway.
BLOCK ONE (Dominique’s Vineyard) was planted May 4 and 5, 2006. Block One is mainly Seyval Blanc and is the main source for our Block One Estate Seyval Blanc.
BLOCK TWO The middle block along the north ridge of the vineyard, this block is planted with Chelois (clones from Casscles Vineyard) and Chambourcin.
BLOCK THREE This block was planted in 2009 on the farthest back block of North Creek Vineyard on a deeply sloping hill. It is planted with two Baco Noir vines including 50% from Casscles Vineyards.